Monday, September 13, 2010

Pumpkin Pie - Not Just for Thanksgiving!

Did you know that pumpkin is a symbolic food eaten at the Rosh Hashana meal? This year I decided to include this tradition at my family's table. While planning the menu that was to be served, I realised that I had absolutely no room for an extra dish in the main course. Between entree of fish (head!), honey drenched apples and craisin-vanilla challah on the first night, and sliced new fruits bejewelled with pomegranate the second night, it just wasn't going to happen. It took a little out of the box thinking and I decided to make a sweet pumpkin dish for dessert instead!

So now for the perfect pumpkin confection. It needed to be substantial and dairy free. With a bit of experimentation I came up with this unusual and decadent pumpkin pie. The winning ingredients are coconut milk and maple syrup. My special healthy pie crust pastry recipe is perfect for this pumpkin pie. PS - don't wait for next year to try this, it is just too good :-)

PUMPKIN PIE FILLING

Lightly mix the following ingredients in a food processor:
2 cups puree'd pumpkin (or canned)
1 cup coconut cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup maple syrup, or to taste
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, optional

Hand beat 2 eggs with a whisk until pale yellow and frothy. Add to the mix in the food processor and blend in gently.

Pour into prepared pie pastry. Bake for 1 hour at 350 C/ 180 F. Cool completely before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment